Feedback on Blocky Blockade version

Altalus Posts: 136 Registration: 2014-03-27
Feel free to share your feedback on the Blocky Blockade version here!
#1 2016-06-08
mani_e204 Posts: 7 Registration: 2015-09-21
First off, I am impressed. I haven't played much yet, but the feeling, the atmosphere, the music, the GAMEPLAY is all there. So much was improved since the last release. The game is running smoothly on my computer, but I did notice some stutter in the dungeon, but that's probably to be expected with the high block detail in there. No bugs until now, lighting improved, dynamic shadows are gorgeous (omg, the clouds). Camera and movement feels natural, shooting is a lot of fun. I personally like the crafting interface a lot and also the overall hexgonal design pattern. I feel like driving around with the hover-thing could be a bit more responsive. Making turns with it just feels a little sluggish.

The dungeon really felt inspired and I had a lot of fun exploring it. The digging mechanic fits nicely with the glass walls and destroying the environment really is fun if you can bypass doors etc. I would also love to see some more secret rooms to be rewarded for digging around =)
However, the enemies were just a little too slow for my liking. The blinking was awesome, but it took them a while to even recognice you were shooting them. I would love to have them being more responsive and aggressive. Maybe T2 or T3 will be a better liking for me, but even for T1 I felt they were just a little too weak and helpless. Giving their movements and actions a bit more depth would be awesome.

From every design-related point of view, this game is already a masterpiece, in my opinion. I love how unique the game feels because of that. The gameplay improvements, the explorative nature and the role-playing elements promise a long lasting and unforgettable gaming experience. Please, please, keep doing what you do and take your time to polish this game. You are doing a fine job!
#2 2016-06-11
Chesterlots Posts: 17 Registration: 2015-07-17
In a spoiler box for ease of scrolling.

Open feedback here...The performance for me is pretty nice, however, I notice a lot of drops in frame rate when new terrain has to be loaded and unloaded out of the chunky LOD, even when on the lowest level of quality render distance for the most minimal amount of effort. It shoots right back up to the top of the frame rate cap when you don't have to load anything. This problem sometimes even causes the frame rate to hit a crawl for a slight moment, though that rarely happens. This is all on a 2GB 860M, dual core core i3 at 2.9 GHZ, 8GB of ram, and a 5200 RPM HDD. So yeah, further smoothing out the LOD system before launch is something I would hopefully like to see if it is possible. I would understand if this isn't exactly a priority currently.

Also, something I posted about previously that is more suited for this section:
"The combat so far is really nice, enjoying it quite a bit! A little problem I ran into though is that there was no way for me to hold my weapon in my other hand, which made peeking and shooting around corners or doors on the right not possible, unlike when you take the left corner or door. Perhaps a button later to switch which side you hold the weapon so this is possible?"

Adding on to what the other guy said about making the enemies more responsive and aggressive, which I support, I'd hope to see players being more capable of responding to surprise threats. I was roaming around in the game the other day and out of nowhere shots started to be fired at my character from four enemies from behind, and I died in a matter of seconds, with little time to react like setting up a quickly built barrier, or getting to cover. It felt kinda cheap not being given the time to react in a way that mattered.

I found out later I could just have food at the ready to spam click and heal me out of a bad situation like that. But if you have played Skyrim, you probably know how cheap and tedious having to gather a stack of health potions to insta-heal in a losing battle can be. It doesn't feel like a battle, it feels like a whoever-came-more-prepared-from-grinding-earlier competition. This game is just as vulnerable currently to that problem.

As for crafting, I love the depth! As long as the resources players will want and need are fairly stretched across the game for fun and balanced resource gathering and crafting, it has a lot of potential. I just am hoping the game doesn't become too much of a grind as it develops, and more so based on decision making on what to do in day to day situations with risks and rewards to your choices.

Also, a slight concern, death currently has no punishment other than being sent back to your cloning tank. Is this something that shall be improved?
#3 2016-06-11
Modified by Chesterlots on 2016-06-11.
Romulus Posts: 147 Registration: 2014-06-02
The game is taking shape ! :) Here's some feedback:

UI:
  • FOV is a bit too narrow in 1920x1200, causing some fatigue/sickness over time: need to have it configurable in the options (or maybe there's a workaround via some UE4 .ini file ?)
  • Echap key should close the dialogue popups too

Vehicles:
  • They are awesome !!
  • Will it be possible to shoot with a rifle or drop a grenade from vehicles ?
  • L should activate/deactivate cockpit lights
  • When exiting a vehicle, player should be moved in the direction he was looking at.

Exploration:
  • The landscape and day-night cycle are immersive !
  • Caves are fun to explore, thanks to the jetpack
  • Will there be a map of the planet ? It's difficult to remember which villages were already explored.

Crafting:
  • New color code for tiers helps, but it could also be used as a transparent overlay for the weapons/tools recipe colors, and maybe in inventory too.
  • When needing to craft a lot, the +/++ buttons are a bit painful. Maybe a "max" button to craft all, or a slider in percentage of what can be crafted, would be more usable ?
  • Recipes droping should not be so random: you should drop in majority things that you can craft, and the lower level of a tool/weapon before the higher level recipes.

Dungeon:
  • It is very enjoyable, with lots of exploration !
  • The same access codes should not work on every locked doors of the dungeon, to have a sense of progression: enemies outside should not have directly the key to the control room !
  • Enemies should not be omniscient: crouching should allow to get closer to the back of an enemy, for instance to throw a grenade)
  • Higher variety of enemies using different weapons (melee, grenades, ...), with a progression when getting closer to the end.
  • Is it possible to look at the map of another level up/down in the dungeon ?
  • Teleporters should have a color code to indicate on the map where they teleport to (once used the first time)
#4 2016-06-11
Modified by Romulus on 2016-06-11.
NeoM Posts: 1191 Registration: 2014-04-04
Thanks a lot for all your feedbacks, there is a lot that is planned to answer your concerns, perhaps even at the steam release (if not after).

I have a doubt about the FOV option in the config file, a dev will confirm that tomorrow.
#5 2016-06-14
CodingMarmot Posts: 1055 Registration: 2014-04-15
Published By Romulus2016-06-11 19:05:02FOV is a bit too narrow in 1920x1200, causing some fatigue/sickness over time: need to have it configurable in the options (or maybe there's a workaround via some UE4 .ini file ?)I think unfortunately there's no FOV option by default provided by the Unreal Engine 4 that we could rely on (or I couldn't find it).
Published By Romulus2016-06-11 19:05:02Will it be possible to shoot with a rifle or drop a grenade from vehicles ?We are not sure yet, maybe ? By the time being the player is invincible while on the vehicle.
Published By Romulus2016-06-11 19:05:02Will there be a map of the planet ? It's difficult to remember which villages were already explored.
When needing to craft a lot, the +/++ buttons are a bit painful. Maybe a "max" button to craft all, or a slider in percentage of what can be crafted, would be more usable ?
We want something like that too.

Published By Romulus2016-06-11 19:05:02Enemies should not be omniscient: crouching should allow to get closer to the back of an enemy, for instance to throw a grenade)Maybe it's a bug, but enemies are sensible to noise. You could crouch to move silently and approach enemies from behind.

Published By Romulus2016-06-11 19:05:02Is it possible to look at the map of another level up/down in the dungeon ?Not yet, but we want to do that too.
#6 2016-06-15
Talarean Posts: 77 Registration: 2014-06-04 Popularity: 114
I feel like it's time to leave some feedback of my own. I've only played for a few hours so far, but I've been having a good time. I have a fairly modest GPU, but the game looks nice and runs reasonably smoothly on low quality at 720p. It looks nice and bright too, unlike the past versions.

Though I do have some complaints. I know it's not a finished version yet and some of these things are already on your To Do list, but I'd like to talk about them anyway. (I'm also on the 0.8.4.0 version. Sorry If I mention something that's been changed in 0.8.4.1)

When digging, sometimes I leave grass and other flora hanging in midair. I think that flora needs to be destroyed into a loose item when the ground it's on is removed. It also feels kind of strange that I can use a digging gauntlet to harvest grass. Perhaps a tool specifically for collecting grass? It's also odd that I can't pick a flower just because the tier of my gauntlet is too low.

I'd like to be able to move when speaking to a NPC. Especially if that NPC is walking around.

I've said this before, but I'd like to be able to attach a container to a crafting station so that I could craft with materials stored in that container. I'd also like to move an item directly to/from a container simply by shift clicking on it. (EDIT: turns out we already can by right-clicking on the item.)

I'm not overly keen on the current healing system. It's just a matter of bringing a bunch of healing items to a battle and spamming them to stay alive. I'd like it more if food and medication had more of a health regeneration effect. Eating food/using medication would fill a meter that would then drain as it healed you. Medicine would heal you quicker than food, but food would heal you for a greater duration. Using both food and medication would give you a complimentary effect, healing you quicker still. That's my suggestion at least.

I also find the crafting a little unbalanced at the moment. For instance, the T1 helmet needs 500 natural composite and 200 glass or ceramic. I crafted this things and placed them on the ground. The natural composite was over a cubic meter large and the glass was almost half a cubic meter. I mean really? For one helmet? I didn't realise at first that I could use glass instead of ceramic, so I cut down 2 oak trees and numerous almond trees to get the wood to craft the charcoal to craft the carbon to craft the ceramic and only ended up with about half the ceramic that I needed. Can I say WTF? (EDIT: I later realised I could have gotten carbon from the highly-abundant limestone. *Facepalm*) I also really look forward to seeing trees fall over when I cut them down. ;)

Anyway, besides these issues, I really like the game as it is, and I feel that it has real potential. I look forward to future versions.
#7 2016-06-20
Modified by Talarean on 2016-06-22.
Blubbll Posts: 35 Popularity: 5
Just like before (last 3 alpha versions), help shows a blank screen (F1).
#8 2016-06-22
Modified by Blubbll on 2016-06-22.
Altalus Posts: 136 Registration: 2014-03-27
The help can also be displayed by pressing "H" instead of "F1"...
Do you still have a blank screen in this case ?

Could you also tell us more about your config (OS, ...) ?
It will help us to reproduce and solve this bug.
#9 2016-06-22
Scrythor Posts: 60 Registration: 2015-08-26
My favorite feature about the alpha is the hoverbikes. Honestly, before they were added, walking was just far too slow. Best feature in the game yet, in my opinion.
#10 2016-06-27
Scurra Posts: 9 Registration: 2014-06-15
A few hours of play, and I feel as though I have barely scratched the surface, but the steps onward since the last time I looked (a few months ago) are properly amazing.
The day/night cycle feels immersive (especially crossing over world edges and getting a different light pattern), the structures encourage exploration, the crafting seems clear (but I suspect may be a bit too tedious given the need to step through a few too many stages to get to the final product) and the balance between exploration, crafting and combat feels good.
I am really looking forward to pushing further, figuring things out and finding out how to use the bits and pieces I have stumbled across.

My main criticism is that in too many places, the written text is not good. Whilst I realise that this is still only an alpha and it will likely be wholly rewritten, the grammar and spelling errors on too many interactions caused the pedantic side of my brain to cringe in embarrassment. Please make sure that a proper proofreader and/or editor is involved in the process before you go properly public. It sounds like an unnecessary step but honestly, it makes such a difference.
#11 2016-08-22
NeoM Posts: 1191 Registration: 2014-04-04
Thank you for your feedback.

You will be please to know that we now work with professional translators, there should not be any mistakes in texts anymore !
#12 2016-09-07
MiCoRRizA Posts: 2 Registration: 2014-06-02
ok, rather late than never, here goes my feedback and suggestions:

- Bug: when inventory is full, we cannot catch recipes dropped from the enemies, even though they do not occupy space in it.

- Enemies can spawn right in front of us, and 3 of them may kill us almost instantaneously.

- When clicking with the middle button, it should just temporarily pick that kind of block, not replace it on the action bar (it's very easy to accidentally replace the gauntlet or the gun with a block when you click with the middle button) I even suggest a "shift+middle click" to make this more permanent change, replacing the block in the action bar.

- I think it lacks a more dramatic animation when you're being hit. (I died when I reached the core of Merx, because I didn't see the hearth was draining until was too late... lol).

- Other people already mentioned "problem" with insta-heal.

- As for crafting balance, I don't know what you're planning for the long term progression on the final game, but I felt like just exploring Merx I already have almost all recipes and could craft a lot of things of high tiers with enough grinding. I think it would be nicer to have some kind of progression that forces you to go to of higher and higher tier planets, so you progress slower. Maybe Merx (if we start in it anyway) should give you at most tier 2 of any kind of item (and recipe) in the game, so you feel the desire of traveling to the next planet to get higher tier items (I believe you already plan something like that, to be honest, but i'm just giving my opinion).

- MAP.. i've seen you added the minimap, that's GREAT! I only ask that you consider to put in it (at least for now) the location of the hoverbike, or the place you died, because I lost count of how many times the game crashed and I reopened it, and spawned on the last place the game have saved, but with no clue where the bike was, result: hours of walking. :(

- Flora hanging in mid-air when digging beneath them (already mentioned by Talarean).

- I also would like to bind TAB for the inventory (I'm left handed, so I get used to use the tab for inventory in games like this, since anything on the right side of WASD is kinda hard to hit with the little-finger)
quote from "paulsoaresjr" on this, in another topic:
I use TAB for inventory in lots of games so I'm used to it. I've remapped it to open Inventory in SO and while that works fine, if I press TAB again with the inventory screen open, the cursor focus actually tabs between items! Ideally, the same button to open the window would also close it. Clearly this is being overridden by the hardcoding of TABbing. Frankly, I don't see much usefulness in tabbing in inventory.

- A Ladder to clib directly up/down would be neat too :P

Finally, thanks a lot! I already had plenty of fun with the game, and sorry for any english errors, brazilian here. :)
#13 2016-09-27
CodingMarmot Posts: 1055 Registration: 2014-04-15
Published By MiCoRRizA2016-09-27 19:29:21- As for crafting balance, I don't know what you're planning for the long term progression on the final game, but I felt like just exploring Merx I already have almost all recipes and could craft a lot of things of high tiers with enough grinding. I think it would be nicer to have some kind of progression that forces you to go to of higher and higher tier planets, so you progress slower. Maybe Merx (if we start in it anyway) should give you at most tier 2 of any kind of item (and recipe) in the game, so you feel the desire of traveling to the next planet to get higher tier items (I believe you already plan something like that, to be honest, but i'm just giving my opinion).spoil !That's what we have done for the steam version, at least for planet Merx, you have only level 1 recipes. The other of the planets are still placeholders, so you get all remaning recipes like before.

Published By MiCoRRizA2016-09-27 19:29:21I also would like to bind TAB for the inventoryIts difficult because TAB is natively catched by UnrealEngine to switch focus from one widget to another. For example, when you have two fields of texts, pressing tab allows you to go to the other edit box, or button. But this occurs only when you have the mouse displayed, with an UI opened, not when you are in the 3D view playing in game.
If you bind tab to inventory, once opened, you may not be able to close inventory as Tab may be catched first to change of graphical widget. (I did not test, but I assume there will be bugs).

Published By MiCoRRizA2016-09-27 19:29:21A Ladder to clib directly up/down would be neat too :P
Yeah. By the time being, the community found out a good way to make compact stairs, with 2 blocs steps every 1 blocs, acts like a temporary ladder. You can also use the old good trick of the water lift, but... it's slooooooooow.

Thanks for everyone in this topic for your feedback. We are sorry that we couldn't do all that everyone suggested for the next version (we are a small team :p), but we read every post of this forum, and track down your suggestions! We did our best for the next version, we still have so much to do, but this time we all agreed that this will be the best version we ever released.
So stay tuned for the next episode... in slight less than 2 days !

(edit 1 : clarified spoil text)
#14 2016-10-10
Modified by CodingMarmot on 2016-10-10.
Close We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.
By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here for more information about cookies.

Altalus

Send a friend request to

Send Request Cancel
Close

Do you really want to report this nickname () as abusive?

An error occured...Please retry or contact us to solve the problem

Thank you for accepting the forum terms of use.
You now have access to all the forum features (including creating new topics and messages).

Reply Quote Modify Delete Moderate Report as critical Add to CD bookmarks Remove from CD bookmarks Close topic (Re)open topic Set as post-it Stop setting up as post-it Set as announcement Stop setting up as announcement Jump to first Cubical Drift message Next Cubical Drift message

Do you really want to delete this message (this operation cannot be undone)?
Please note that if your message is the first one of a topic, the topic will be deleted too.

Cancel Submit